Tuesday, February 15, 2011

BRAZIL SOCCER ACE RONALDO RETIRES: "I lost to my body"


It came as a shock to me to read about Ronaldo retirement. It was an emotional announcement. He said he sustained so many injuries that his body has quit on him so many times that he decided to give in.
The 34-year-old’s career arguably reached its zenith with his masterly performances at the 2002 World Cup, but three serious knee injuries cast a pall over his later years in sport.

He was quoted saying:” “The pain made me anticipate the end of my career,” Ronaldo told a press conference, at which he was flanked by his sons Alex and Ronald.

He said that its very hard to leave something that made me him so happy.

“Mentally I wanted to continue but I have to acknowledge that I lost to my body.”

The teary eyed Ronaldo revealed he had for many years been battling hypothyroidism, a deficiency of thyroid hormone which affected his ability to stay on top of his weight.

He said a muscle injury sustained last week had been the trigger for him to call time on his career.

“I thought about it at home and realised that it was time. I had given everything that I had.”

The three-time Fifa World Player of the Year scored 15 World Cup goals, breaking the record previously held by Gerd Müller. He scored eight goals in the 2002 tournament in Japan and South Korea, including both goals in the 2-0 final victory over Germany, and in total scored 62 times for Brazil in 97 appearances.

FOR MORE PLS GO HERE:

1. GUARDIAN

2. EUROSPORT

No comments:

Post a Comment